Sunday 31 January 2010

Making home

I've been thinking about home, and about homelessness.

"Home" is a very important idea to me. Having moved so many times in my life, so often to places that I knew would be temporary, having a place that I think of as home is something that has often been absent from my life. I remember going to university, the first time and the second, and finding that my fellow students got homesick, a bit -- that never happened to me. I found they referred to their childhood homes, their parents' homes, as "home home", differentiating between that and the casual slang of home as wherever one happens to be sleeping for the time being. I've always had a roof over my head but this house I'm living in with Sweetie and Intrepid Anthropologist is the first place that has felt like a home, the first place that has been at once a sanctuary from the world and a base from which to do work in it.

Also I think I might be finding a spiritual home of sorts in Christianity, even in Anglicanism. I'm not sure. It does seem to be more about the people than the doctrine, more about the fellowship than the structure, and that makes me wonder whether any other community wouldn't do as well. There are certainly things that make me very uncomfortable, too. And yet -- no family home is without running arguments and conflicts. And no matter how much we wish for different parents, different siblings, most people wouldn't seriously consider giving up the ones they have.

At some point I started saying the Nicene Creed with everyone else. I still don't know how I can believe it. I still wouldn't have any trouble singing it. I don't know when I started, or whether I'll stop being able to say it. But right now, saying it and holding the tension seems to be important. Like my physical home, I find myself turning to this religion, these scriptures, this God, for spiritual solace and protection, and also as a base from which to work in the world. So that is where I am right now.

But that's not the only thing that's making me think about home. It's partly the home I do have here in Upper Suburbia, the spiritual home I and finding in Christianity (and there is nobody more surprised than I am about that!). It's partly... I've been thinking a lot about purpose lately, about vocation if you like. What am I actually for?

See, I thought I knew that. I'm a teacher and performer of music. I'm a creator. I find shiny things and show them to people, or make shiny things and show them to people, and this work makes me feel deeply fulfilled. It brings pain, it brings joy. I love this work. It doesn't feel onerous. It feels like a great privilege.

But every time I walk past a homeless person I wonder how it is that I have somewhere to stay and they don't. It really is a case of "there but for the grace of God go I." There, but for the social support that seemed to spring up around me while I was depressed, would I be. There, but for the institutional support that was offered to help me sort myself, would I be. There, but for the NHS, I almost certainly would be! My impulse, my instinct, is always to bring someone home to share what I have. At this point I don't know if I could deal with that, and I'm certain my housemates would have some pretty strong words. But that doesn't change the insistent scratching at the back of my soul.

I don't think this is a straightforward "do some work with the homeless" nudge, though.

The one thing that makes me think I probably won't end up on the street is that I believe if I had to I could perform my way off it again. As long as I'm able to sing I'll sing for my supper. I've done enough busking to know it can be a viable subsistence for me. There's not much to do about that but thank God, for the years of music tuition (almost none of it in singing), for the fairly good memory, for the experience busking previously, for the instrument I have -- this voice, this mind, this body. Wouldn't take me long to buy a tin whistle or a recorder, something that carries the sound further.

It doesn't take me long to think of half a dozen projects involving music and the homeless, or music and vulnerable people. It doesn't take me long to justify my existing work as a sort of musical guiding people home, helping them find and create their own safe space from which they can reach out to others -- the children I teach are often quite privileged, but that doesn't mean they always feel safe.

None of that feels like exactly the right thing, either.

I guess thing to do at this stage is to wait, and listen, and maybe take a few tentative steps. Volunteer at a shelter, wait and see if anything presents itself. Talk to people I trust with this sort of thing, see if anything presents itself. Pay attention: is it homelessness, particularly, that's making me feel this unease, or poverty? Or mental health issues? Or the general lostness of humanity that we all try to ignore but is absolutely obvious in the sight of a woman in her 50s wandering the streets looking for somewhere to sleep? Am I responding to some God-given part of who I am, or just trying to fix the world before breakfast again?

What is this insistent scratching at my soul telling me about how to serve God?

5 comments:

Ernest said...

Song,

What a long and thought provoking post!

I felt so much that resonated for me, with things you said.

“the first place that has felt like a home, the first place that has been at once a sanctuary from the world and a base from which to do work in it.........”

Being in the Services for all of my adult life, has meant a turbulent and disrupted lifestyle until I finally settled. I have a home, but feel homeless. I and my spouse are both unsettled and feel called to move on – we will but have to wait. But it is a base towards new things.

For you to feel settled is wonderful, not matter it is perhaps only a temporary base, but the security it gives makes you safe.


“I think I might be finding a spiritual home of sorts in Christianity”.......

I found my spiritual home in the Church of England, completely unexpectedly, after 25 years of lack of belief and doubt – the acceptance was so profound and deep inside that I just know that it is right.

You appear to be at the discernment stage – which might take some time to work through.

“I find myself turning to this religion, these scriptures, this God, for spiritual solace and protection, and also as a base from which to work in the world. So that is where I am right now”.........

I have found a firm spiritual base, which has changed my whole life and future (and that of my wife along with it).

I will pray that you find that turning to God through your Gifts of creativity, music and prayer will be what you are seeking.


“I've been thinking a lot about purpose lately, about vocation if you like. What am I actually for?”

Having responded to the call, I than found that it was not enough – God wanted more from me? Why was becoming a believer and accepting him, not enough?

You appear to be having the same problem, I have no solution apart from prayer and taking 'wise counsel'. I now have a Spiritual Director, which makes a tremendous difference when you are working through so much, including the baggage.

“I'm a creator. I find shiny things and show them to people, or make shiny things and show them to people”

I don't seem to have the gifts for music, the arts or anything practical in real terms, what I have found, which has come as a surprise to me is an empathy and compassion for others, which actually makes me vulnerable.

Your gifts are wonderful and so much needed within the world – people need spiritual sustenance and Music is a huge part of it.

“But that doesn't change the insistent scratching at the back of my soul”.

This describes something which I feel so deeply – no matter what else is discerned, I am being asked to give more, to give back to serve. How? Ministry seems to be the way I am being pulled and pushed – but it is unclear, whether others see the same?.

From my perspective the scratching which you find so insistent, is the knocking on the door – finding the way to open it might be the key.

"Am I responding to some God-given part of who I am, or just trying to fix the world before breakfast again? “What is this insistent scratching at my soul telling me about how to serve God?”

Letting God into your life, takes trust and acceptance and giving away your whole self to him, each path to him is so different and unique – he is calling you by Name, and in time will make his will clear.

Kathryn said...

You have "insistent scratching" - I had "spiritual butterflies in my tummy"...that sort of holy restlessness is very demanding but does, I promise,make its object clear in time.
Meanwhile, yes, take it to spir dir when it feels right and I'm very happy to bat ideas and thoughts about too.
Lovely stuff.I think maybe "Welcome home" is part of the response, actually xxx

Song in my Heart said...

Ernest, thanks for your thoughtful and insightful comments, and also for your prayers.

I do have a spiritual director; I will be speaking to her about this next time we meet, I think, and I think that might be sooner rather than later.

Kathryn, thanks for everything. And for being one of the ones holding the door open so strays like me find our way home...

Both of you assure me that with time will come clarity; your faith that I will find the direction I seek is very reassuring. I'm not certain, though. I think this part of what I am for will become more clear, but as I get answers to my current questions, I will end up with more questions. There isn't an arrival point, an instant when I stop developing and listening and just carry out the instructions. Discernment, as I understand it, is a life-long process.

But that's alright, I think.

it's margaret said...

Insistent scratching.... (how wonderful! Mine felt like a monkey on my back!!!!) And what tremendous insights you share.

You are doing all the right stuff dear Song. You will know. God bless you.

Song in my Heart said...

Ah -- no, the monkey on my back was always fear. That's still there, but I carry it more easily now. To be fair, I have a lot of help. Somehow it has become a much lighter burden.

I think maybe I won't know what I'm for, not right away, not in some dramatic fashion... or maybe never. Maybe I'll die tomorrow not having figured it out; maybe I'll live several more decades, always searching, never finding an answer.

But that's okay if I'm not ignoring it, if I'm not letting the screeching, anxious monkey on my back so cloud my hearing that I am deaf to the quieter, less frantic scratching and scrabbling. It's okay to not know the answer if I still respond, somehow, to the question.

I think maybe there is more than one right thing for me to do, more than one path I could follow from here.

There are a thousand ways to kneel and kiss the ground. That's Rumi again, not me. But I think he's right, except that there are so many more than a thousand.