Sunday 20 December 2009

O Clavis David



O Key of David and sceptre of the House of Israel;
you open and no one can shut;
you shut and no one can open:
Come and lead the prisoners from the prison house,
those who dwell in darkness and the shadow of death.

cf Isaiah 22.22, 42.7


I've been recording these at Nearest Church. I'm there some mornings to practise the organ anyway, and the acoustic is far more forgiving than the less resonant atmosphere in my carpeted music room at home.

This morning, try as I might, I could not get the door to the church unlocked. Other people have complained about that door, but I've usually been able to use it with no trouble. But this morning? Twenty minutes of wrangling with the lock, and I still wasn't in. I was late for my next appointment so abandoned the project until later in the day... when the lock worked quite easily for me.

The other thing this antiphon puts me in mind of is the mental prisons we so often create for ourselves. We build little walls for ourselves, meant to protect us from situations which are uncontrollable or frightening. That works very well for a time, but eventually the walls we build can trap us. Perhaps that is the prison from which we wait to be freed.

Or perhaps, yet again, it is late and I am tired...

4 comments:

it's margaret said...

Song--is that you singing?!!! It's beautiful!

it's margaret said...

All of 'em!

Ernest said...

Song,

A really beautiful portrayal of the Song.

I wonder if the prison you imagine in your own mind is in fact the feeling of being locked out of where you feel you belong. Reverse Psychology perhaps.

The lament is a cry from the heart to God - come and free me to be your servant - your singing of it is profoundly moving.

Song in my Heart said...

Yes, Margaret, it's me singing these. I'm glad you like them.

Ernest, that sense of being locked out, rather than hemmed in -- I hadn't thought of it that way at all but it rings true. But perhaps those walls are in my mind, too. And who can tell which side of a wall is the inside, and which is the outside? Either way, only God can unlock the gate.

Thank you both.